Writ PressNote: The paperback edition features the same lay-flat, Smythe sewn binding as the clothbound edition. (It is not “perfect bound” like most paperbacks.) The cover is acid-free paperboard made from 100% recycled material.
Bibliotheca: Complete Paperback Set
Regular price $ 169.00
FREE U.S. SHIPPING (Contiguous)
- Designed according to time-tested typographic methods to foster fluid, comfortable reading
- Free of all added conventions such as chapter numbers, verse numbers, section headers, cross references, and annotation
- Designed and typeset in the U.S. using original typefaces prepared specially for this edition
- Printed and bound in Germany by Kösel, est. 1593
- Smythe sewn, lay-flat binding
- Smooth, opaque paper is wood-free, acid-free, and stone-based; made in Austria without the use of bleach
About the Translation, The American Literary Version of the Biblical Library
- Freshly revised from the 1901 American Standard Version
- Reviewed by Ph.D. biblical language experts holding positions at institutions such as Oxford, Emory, Wheaton, Fuller, and Ashland Theological Seminary – who, without damaging the literary quality of the base translation, suggested many changes to bring the translation up to par with where textual criticism and Greek and Hebrew lexicography currently stand
- Exceptionally literal among contemporary translations, preserving considerably more of the concreteness, strangeness, ambiguity, repetition, and structure (parataxis and syntax) of the original languages, and allowing the reader to more closely encounter these intricate, often perplexing texts
- Archaic pronouns and verbs have been replaced with modern equivalents—“thou” with “you,” “doth” with “does,” etc.
- While explicitly archaic and obscure English vocabulary has been removed, the characteristic literary quality of the base translation has been preserved wherever possible; e.g.
And Jonathan spoke well of David to Saul his father and said to him, “Let not the king sin against his servant, against David, because he has not sinned against you, and because his works for you have been very good, for he put his life in his hand and smote the Philistine, and YHWH wrought a great victory for all Israel.”